View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #23
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sting The Two Cousins...

I just got a copy of UT from the library and started reading it (only a few pages in), and just couldn't resist making a note of an observation. Turin and Tuor are, actually, not that different in character, but different in approach:

Quote:
"Then I will go and seek Turgon,"...
Also has a taste for doing the impossible.

Quote:
But Tuor's heart was kindled with the fire of battle, and he would not flee...
Also quite proud / stubborn, and even a bit reckless.

Quote:
But Tuor saw wisdom...
...and restrained himself from giving way to his indignation/anger/etc. Turin, on the other hand, never bothered with stopping himself - there's a difference in approach.

Quote:
Nor was he willing to live thus for ever a wild man in the houseless hills, and his heart urged him ever to great deeds.
Once again, just like Turin he wants to act, now. However, he tells himself to calm down and reason through it before diving in rashly.

These are just some points on that old beaten-up topic. When I finish the chapter I'll look over the thread and maybe comment on some other things.