View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #30
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
There is at least one instance of Turin making music that I can think of immediately: the Laer Cu Beleg, or Song of the Great Bow, that he sings for Beleg after his death.
That's the one I was talking about in my previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
You may already be aware of this, but a version of this song was actually written by Tolkien and can be found in HoMe volume IV. It reflects a slightly older version of the story (the chief difference is that Ulmo appeared to Tuor in Nan Tathren rather than Nevrast), but it's quite a nice poem. I tried to set it to music once, but found it hard to get a handle on the formal structure of the song, since the poem consists of couplets without stanzaic divisions.
I wasn't aware of that, but it's one more reason to read the HOMEs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
It's notable, though, that to Túrin music seems to be associated with negative emotions only, whereas Tuor naturally seems to turn to it for comfort and confidence.
True point. In general, Turin is not very artistic, except for the art of fighting and hunting (or escaping from hunt) in the woods. He lacks the patience. Is music related to patience?