View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostPilgrim View Post
. Would anyone disagree with the general portrayal of Gandalf was on the mark? I don't mean so much the incidents (major deviations from Tolkien's characterization of Gandalf in RotK) but Ian McKellen sort of "being" Gandalf.
I would. I thought he was possibly the least convincing. McKellen on screen is always McKellen to me. He never seems to disappear into his character. I think he is better on stage. What works in a theatre context looks very mannered to me projected on a giant screen. But then, the Radio adaptation has a hold on my heart in the way that the films no doubt have on others of a younger generation.

Some of the fim actors I prefer to the radio ones .. Sean Bean (despite the accent - seemed weird that he spoke Yorkshire when his father and brother spoke Oxford english), Viggo Mortensen, Cate Blanchett, others as good but Michael Hordern as Gandalf and Holm, Nighy and Woodthorpe as Frodo Sam and gollum are unbeatable for me...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote