View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #123
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
A third wave feminist would surely be more likely to reject the whole thing as commercial nonsense and not indie enough?

I've got no particular ideology to make me think this way, but my primary concern is it's all too predictable and cheesy to throw in a constructed female character because they think women will be turned off by the film without this. A bit like how toy shops insist on making everything for girls in vile pink. It's patronising.
It is patronizing, which is why I can't take Jackson's films seriously. The very idea that he considered throwing in Xenarwen at Helm's Deep is laughable. And even what was kept in the LotR films shows his knack for novelty and not serious filmmaking; for instance, we have bold Arwen defying the Nazgul at the Fords of Bruinen, only to watch her character becoming more and more squishy as the films progressed. It's almost as if she had an evil twin who only made an appearance in FotR, and then Elrond made her to go her room. Bad Xenarwen! No supper for you!