View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #189
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ok, finally caught up on toDay as well as the end of yesterDay, since I was very time-limited then. And now, looking back, I may have been more reluctant to vote Bom, but I'll get to that in a bit.

Firstly, Pom, your voting list has a few errors. I've fixed them here, and added in the roles of the dead:

Greenie -> Boro
Lottie -> Lommy
Bom -> Bom {ordo}
G55 -> Lommy (2)
Inzil -> Eonwe
Rikae {hunter} ->Inzil
Sally -> Eonwe (2)
Eru {ordo} -> Lommy (3)
Shasta -> Bom {ordo} (2)
Legate-> Bom {ordo} (3)
Nogrod-> Bom {ordo} (4)
Eonwe-> Bom {ordo} (5)
Lommy-> Bom {ordo} (6)
Pitch->Eonwe (3)
Pom->Legate

And I'm glad you also spotted Nog's sneaky post as the origin of the Bom bandwaggon, which is what I'm going to focus on now.

Here, we have two main parts to his 'half-serious' attack:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
If anyone is willing to help Bom with his suicide I'd be happy to lend a hand there.

So, we ranted too little about these no-trace votes (or we should have made the rant wider). I mean a self vote is as bad as a declared random vote in that they result in the same: there's no way of saying whom the person really wished to vote for (or whom he didn't want to vote) - or whom he faked wishing to vote for or not to vote for. Declared intentions concerning one's votes + the votes themselves are the bread and butter of this game, voting randomly or self-voting is effectively denying others the info. And thus something the wolves would love to hide in if it was looked on as having no consequences. Therefore I'm actually half-serious in proposing we lynch Bom toDay.
Firstly, here he claims that there is merit in voting Bom because of his self-vote.

Then, not content with this, he adds this:
Quote:
The other thing that makes me half-serious with it, is what Bom has actually posted.

There are four posts by him.

In first (#22) he agrees with G55 (and all others) about the Acolyte discussion.

In the second one (#56) he says Rikae and G55 look innocentish, with no explanation whatsoever (well, he adds as a kind of softening that he finds G55 always innocent and wonders why is that). Then he does what I'd describe as piling onto the Leg/Zil -controversy saying that's the thing he finds interesting, though he will not himself have time to look at it.

In his third post (#64) he dislikes Greenie's vote but backtracks immediately saying he will not vote for Greenie as she will not be around to explain anymore.

Then he votes himself (#94) because "I don't seem to be in danger of being lynched".
It's as if he decided that the first reason wasn't enough, and instead of taking the angered route of lynching the self-voters, he also feels compelled to find reasons for him being suspicious. Of course, either of these two parts would be fine separately, but what is the point in bringing them together? There is no connecting theme except for "Reasons to lynch Bom", which does not seem like the sort of thing an innocent would do at all.

There's also his ending part:
Quote:
The only problem I have with all this (and why I'm only half-serious) is that I'm afraid an innocent Bom could play just like this as well. And there are some I think we have some reasons to believe are not having our best in mind anyway. Heh, and I'm not so sure anymorfe why I used such a long time into this rant which begins with let's lynch Bom and then ends up with, well, maybe let's not...
Here he tried to stick it all together, and fails miserably. The two points are not the same at all. In addition, it's only here that he goes for the "but maybe an innocent Bom could do this too" angle. Throughout the rest of the post, there's no indication of anything else, no doubt or deviation from his topic- it's just a list of reasons to kill Bom.

Not only this, but he tries to soften the attack by using the words "half-serious" three times in his post. Three times. Because he knows that it is just a relentless "lynch Bom" campaign. And he doesn't want to seem like he's just coming up with this out of nowhere. He's waiting for others to pick up on his campaign and vote Bom for him, so he can just turn up later looking blameless.

The more important question is why he would do it. And what seems most likely to me is that either one of his fellows was getting attacked, or those being suspected were playing suspiciously enough for him to want to 'save them for later' when it would be harder to get an easy lynch. So I'm not sure how suspicious this makes Lommy. Yesterday, I started off thinking her suspicious, then innocent, but now, with this, I'm leaning suspicious again.

edit: x-ed with the 'Helsinki update'. Going to eat, but I will be back soon.