View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #37
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
'definitive'

I will define what I see as 'definitive' which I notice has become very different from many here.

1st - any definitive Silmarillion, would be at best relatively so, as JRRT would not be the editir, nor at this point is CJRT at all likely.

The most we can hope for is a 'puffed' up version that CJRT DOES sign off on, as he must have with the 3 volume Hobbit Editied by Anderson.

I really see Anerson's Annotated Hobbit as something of the model.

What would make it definitive to me is if it contained the maximal 1st AGE material with no attempt to present any detail as definitive, but to include the best of the alt versions side by side literally with the 'official' version.

So I mean definitive presentation of materials, not any definitive 'canon'. That ship sailed in 1999 when CJRT declined to change anything of substance other than a few dates in 1999. No change in Orodreth/Gil-Galad, the 7th son of feanor being killed, etc...

But definitive 'readers' editiion is still very much needed. As Lalwende noted most obvioulsy with the Osanwe-Kenta, it is too important to the understanding of Elves and Men and the Valar for that gem to be so buried, along with so much else that imo can transform the reading of the Silm to something more nearly approaching a] what JRRT intended and hoped for in terms of size and variability b] The whole of the story is shown large/small old new condensed and expanded without much concern being given to do all the explaining HoM-E does quite well. So minimal editorial comments and maximal texts ideally with a cool timeline [annals new above core text, old at bottom] and boxes or different fonts to show the variations, or even a final on one side, and maybe a lost tales variant on the other.

I do hope something like this might happen with the Silm. Prob Anderson or one of the skulls or somesuch would have to grab CJRT's ear.

But I think it unlikely for the simple reason that CJRT has handled all the Silm stuff himself, it has been 'his baby'. The Hobbit to him was something he could live with passing on to Anderson, Silm and LotrR material? probably not. Hope to be wrong.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote