View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #17
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
As a Canadian, I've become slightly more attuned to my own accent since moving to New England, though as a general rule I think western Canadians have accents a bit less distinctive within the family of "broad American" than central Canadians. Nienna watches a lot of home improvement shows (a guilty pleasure I liken unto eating junk food) and there is a GLUT of them made in Ontario--and the Ontario accent stands out: not just against the American accents, but also my own as a western Canadian--which might explain, in part, why you and Bęthberry have different accents, Galadriel66, since I believe she's also a western Canadian in origin.

On the subject of Fantasy and Tolkien, however, I think this is one point where you can see how North America is the major market for the LotR movies, since most of us aren't as attuned to the nuances of accent outside our own ken. Not that I believe everyone in England is a Lalwendë, but there is a much greater blurring of "Englishy" exotic accents in our ears, to the point that we pretty much NEED Gimli to speak Scots just to differentiate him... though I think I'd have preferred him undifferentiated, myself, instead of causing all Dwarves henceforth to be Scottish.