View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
Another consideration is that, as ents seem to take on the qualities of the trees they tend and the Entiwives are said to have had a fondness for the smaller, more cultivated olvar (or is that kelvar, I always get the two confused). One would expect them to resemble such trees themselves. Quite simply,in my opinion, an elm is, for lack of a better term, too male a tree to be an entwife. A willow maybe (though of course Old Man Willow(even though he is likey a huorn, not a rouge ent) is described as Old Man Willow), but when I imagine Entwives, I imagine them as most closely resembling fruit or nut trees; apples, plums, hazels, etc. Of course, this is only how I see them
But wouldn't entwives simply be the female form of all the kinds of trees? After all, for entlings to exist, one would expect some kind of same-species or same-genus fertilization. Or at the very least, it would be the entwives who would be fertile as the ents aren't capable of reproduction. For hollies, for example, one needs both male and female trees to cross pollinate in order to get holly berries.