View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
And really, the Edain that fought against Morgoth were if anything just as powerful a force as the Numenoreans. They were their ancestors, after all.
This seems like the key here. There's an almost universal theme in the Silmarillion, it seems to me, of "fading:" all good things must come to an end, and everybody falls eventually, so it's doubtful the Numenoreans could have done anything the Edain didn't.

That said, there is a little leeway, since there's a fair bit of emphasis in the Akallabeth, it seems to me, on how great and glorious Numenor was before its decline, but it's still doubtful that they could've done anything especially huge. Legate and Galadriel55 have already made the same points on the topic I would - any battle against what I would term a "high" creature, such as an Ainu, must ultimately come down to spiritual power, not physical, whether that be the purity to avoid corruption or merely the mental strength to face such a one down.