View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I'm not sure how to explain it, but as much as I think Ian McKellan is a very good Gandalf (an excellent Magneto though ), there was something missing in his performance. Something more than some of the character changes like his mauling on Denethor or fight with the Witch-King. I don't know who else could have been casted for the role, and I'm not even sure I would want someone else other than Sir Ian, but something is lacking in his performance as Gandalf.
First off, very much agreed about McKellan and Magneto. "Mr. Laurio, never trust a beautiful woman, especially one who's interested in you."

I'm going on not very near recollections of the movies right now, so I'm going to make it a point to watch them again (shudder). Anyway, to me , the Gandalf from the books did not translate well. The movies have him yo-yoing between the two extremes you mention: kindly old grandpa on the one hand, and crotchety "You darned kids, with your loud music and skateboards!" on the other.

And do you know, one of the scenes that really bugs me is the first one in LOTR, where Gandalf drives up and hugs Frodo. Yes, it's sweet, but it just isn't a "Gandalf thing".

I also don't like the "Is it secret? Is it safe?" He looks so darned wild-eyed there, as if he's about to start raving about conspiracy theories involving Lobelia Sackville-Baggins being Sauron in disguise, or something.

I wonder though how much of that is McKellan's fault, and how much is at the door of the scriptwriters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
So, I have very little bad to say about Ian McKellan as Gandalf the Grey. However, I think the slightly-off feelings come as Gandalf the White. I don't know what's missing, so maybe I'm just imagining it. But, he doesn't have the aura, and inspiration as Gandalf the White, like I expected. He hasn't "raised in stature" upon being "sent back," but seems to have actually lost some of his gravitas.
I get that too. He actually seems more nervous and uncertain. The Gandalf the White in the books did know fear, but he didn't cower in front of the Witch-king.