View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #110
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
I have another staff that I carved myself from the branch of a corkscrew willow (very cool tree if you've ever seen one) from one of my properties. It's over 6 feet long (nearly as tall as me!), but willow wood is exceedingly light but strong, so I've actually hiked with it. And the convoluted twists of the wood as it winds from top to bottom makes it look...ummm...twisted. Serpentine even.
You should plant it, because it grows even after being cut - my dad made a fence out of old Willow and it turned into a hedge.

I've got a Twisted Hazel, but I don't think it would be strong enough for a staff (not that I want to cut it down because it's started producing...no way to say this without it sounding painful...twisted nuts). I fancy making some rope from Honeysuckle though because apparently it was used in ritual by the ancient Britons and it's extremely strong - and I have quite a lot of it. That would look really cool wound around a staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumriken
-__- I wonder...if this was what Tolkien had in mine writing his books, grown men carving walking sticks. loo
Dunno, but I'd lay money on him not expecting ladies to be carving sticks, let alone owning their own utility knives