View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #108
elbenprincess
Haunting Spirit

elbenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
No that is not the most likely context. Elrond has shown no lust for power, rejected the idea of creating the rings and seems to have little problem rejecting the ring.

From the grammar it is clear that he Tolkien is writing about mastering the One Ring. We have seen how the One Ring gave even Gollum and Sam delusions of grandeur. So this would not be anything special. He is saying IF Galadriel is correct in her belief she could master the ring, then would the other holders of the ringer ie Cirdan and Elrond possibly Gil-galad too, but Elrond out of all of them had the best chance. Considering the confrontation was one of power it would suggest Elrond had the greatest innate power out of all holders, except Gandalf.

But he is saying that Galadriel is NOT correct in her belief that she could master the ring (because ONLY Gandalf could master the ring) and so is especially Elrond, it was only the deceit of the ring that makes them believe that they could do it.

Thatīs illogical, one time Tolkiens says that of the others only Gandalf might be expected to master him and the next time he says that especially Elrond could master him? Donīt think so. I read it as if especially Elrond conceived of himself as capable of wielding the ring and supplanting the dark lord. You can read it both ways but I donīt think Elrond had the greatest innate power, Galadriel is described an an equal of Feanor (in later writing I know, but nevertheless that was Tolkiens take on her) who was the mightiest of the elves and I think no one would argue that he could match Feanor. Only because Elrond was decended from melian doesnīt mean that he was more powerful than the other elves. (In that logic same would apply for Arwen and the twins)Galadriel for sure and Glorfindel (only after his re-birth)are innately more powerful.

By the way, when was he rejecting the idea of creating the rings, he wasnīt even asked ;-)

Quote:
However, Elrond never claims the High Kingship of the Noldor after Gil-galad's death
Now it depends which version you believe, but it was CTīs take his father intended Orodreth (sp?) to be father of Gil Galad, so he never could claim the kinship, cause Galadriel would be in the line for queenship.

Last edited by elbenprincess; 12-14-2012 at 03:02 PM.
elbenprincess is offline   Reply With Quote