View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #120
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbenprincess View Post
What, Elrond has greater knowlege about the past than Galadriel who actually experianced that??!! And who was a match for the loremaster in Valinor, so that would include Rumil
And could look more into the future like Galadriel, who is said to be able to look in the future via her mirror? Forsight is kinda different than looking into the future.
Yep both are true. Elrond was the greatest lore master and he alone knew the full account of many of the stories. Galadriel passed into the east very early in Beleriand. Elrond fought in the Last Alliance, fought alongside Numenor and was there when Sauron was defeated.

Foresight includes knowledge of the future. The only person who had greater knowledge of the future than Elrond was Cirdan. I have read up on this and it was due to a special gift he received from the Valar, because of his great sacrifice for others. Cirdan could see the future about ever aspect of Middle Earth and he alone surpassed Elrond.
Quote:
He chose to be counted among the Eldar and is included if Tolkien talks about elves. Even Arwen was acounted as Eldar, i.e. third marriege between the Eldar and Edain. He had to chose for one and all, beacuse there should be no in-between race, that however doesnīt change what he is genetically.Whereīs the problem? He belongs to the elves, Arwen belongs to men, Elros belogs to men, Tuor belongs to the elves, more be precise to the Noldor.
Yet there is an inbetween race the Half-Elven. The sons of Elrond are not included among the Elves.

Elrond is never called an elf lord.

Aragorn says Elrond is the oldest of his race.

Tolkien took great pains to never mention Elrond as an elf. If you really want then I will provide several quotes showing you Elrond was never an Elf.
Quote:
Really, I donīt understand! Galadriel + Feanor = equal (according to Tolkien) and greatest of the Noldor (whatever greatness means) So how can Elrond be more powerful than Galadriel if Galadriel was equal in might to Feanor.
1. Elrond was not of the Noldor.
2. Feanor and Galadriel are not equal in power. Feanor is the mightiest of the Noldor. Galadriel is only referred to as mighty among the Noldor.

We have a direct comparison between the two and Elrond is shown to be stronger. You cannot refute this direct comparison.
Quote:
Ah OK, even if Galadriel know for sure that she was doing the right thing, because Saruman was not trustworthy, she shouldnīt do it because itīs against the valar wishes. If that is true, why had she got a brain?

Itīs hopeless.
Usurping power is wrong, when an authoritative figure has not yet erred. To disagree with his council is fine and it is actually Elrond, who is the one constantly rejecting and arguing against Saruman. That apart Saruman was once great and wise. He was appointed as head of the order by the Valar and the wisest of the Maiar, Gandalf accepted this.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote