View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #89
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
I think he mentions it contained 'other Lords of the Eldar' in the Silmarillion. I reckon Glorfindel must have in a place in it surely?
I am not really sure about it. Because I know for sure that who I "feel" should be here are, like, Saruman, Gandalf, Radagast (as all the Istari present at that time), Elrond, Círdan, and Galadriel (as the wisest of the Elven lords, and ringbearers on top of that). Glorfindel, however noble his origin is and all that, seemed to me always just like a "fighter", not a "talker", if it comes to that, he's from a different era and is sort of "beyond the present concerns", since the only thing he does is to fetch Frodo, we hear nothing more about him at all in the Third Age. Another person I would be possibly considering is Celeborn, whom, however he tends to be "overshadowed" by his wife, I can imagine sitting there in the corner when Galadriel is speaking something of value... it simply sort of comes together, I can't see why Galadriel would not have invited him there, however "filling" his role would be.

However, what Tolkien explicitly tells us is exactly what Nerwen said - Saruman, Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel (right now I can't vouch for Círdan, but I think he is there). There are other moments, when the list might include "other Elven Lords", but that is when e.g. Saruman, Gandalf and one other Elf are mentioned, so the "other Elven Lords" include the remaining ones.

So the movie is pretty punctually after the canon (I'm glad they didn't invent seven other Elven Lords to come in), personally I think there were likely one or three more, but there is no mention of them anywhere.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote