View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post

Lembas is in part a linguistic joke related to the origin of the word lady as meaning giver of bread. In The peoples of Middle earth Tolkien explains the origen of lembas and why it was the gift ofhigh ranking elven women only.
As I have yet to get through all of HoMe, I didn't know this. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
On a side note the books forum is intended for relatively formal text based discussion. Speculation and a more relaxed style are better suited to novices and newcomers. Also should be remembered that there is a wide range of ages and cultural background here and slang should be used with caution.
Indeed. It would be wise of the newly dead to read the forum guidelines for posting in Newcomers and Novices. And if that isn't sufficient, then to spend some time reading threads in the forums to see the kind of style used here. We try, out of respect for The Professor, to use his language with care and respect, and to write in a usage that is understandable to the many speakers of English around the world, both native and ESL. We also don't use ellipsis for expletives, because we don't use expletives here.

Moderator's Guidelines for Posting