View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #53
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulvenok View Post
As for Tolkien, I think the haradrim have a direct equivalent in real life. That Tolkien chose to portray black people and middle eastern looking people as "lesser men" is if not racist...would be interpreted as racist by middle eastern and black people today.
I don't recall the Haradrim being considered "lesser". In fact, their valor seems to be something Tolkien makes a point of noting. Though deluded by Sauron, they are not presented as either irredeemably evil or culturally inferior.

Quote:
But the Men of Rhûn and of Harad, Easterling and Southron, saw the ruin of their war and the great majesty and glory of the Captains of the West. And those that were deepest and longest in evil servitude, hating the West, and yet were men proud and bold in their turn now gathered themselves for a last stand of desperate battle.
ROTK The Field of Cormallen

King Elessar is said to have made peace with Rhûn and Harad after Sauron's fall. If the "racism" were as you perceive, wouldn't Gondor have subjugated those "lesser" peoples instead of treating with them as peers, and with mercy?

x/d with HI- how often do I get to say that?