Thread: The Maiar
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #17
Ardent
Wight

Ardent has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarumian View Post
I would agree with others that Istari did not forget their true self, otherwise how could they stay aware of their mission in ME? But the relevance of their experience could dramatically change with time and Gandalf seems to be the only one capable of retaining his dedication (did the elven Ring help him to some extent?)...
Regarding Gandalf Faramir quotes him as saying:
"...Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten..."

This indicates that he at least remembers his name, but it is unclear whether "the West that is forgotten" is refering to his own memory or that of lesser races.

Regarding Radagast I see no reason to think he had forgotten his task. Was caring for 'herbs, beasts and birds' not a worthy task? Certainly Treebeard made it a point of honour in describing Gandalf as "the only wizard that really cares about trees." I used to think it odd that Radagast did not reckon in Treebeard's esteem, but then herblore was not the concern of Ents but of Entwives, so perhaps the latter held Radagast in the same esteem as the eagles did? One of the Valar (at least) must have sung the herbs into being.