View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #34
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
I am not sure where the description is of Eldarin men being 6 foot 6 comes from.
Hammond and Scull published this information in their Reader's Companion to The Lord of the Rings.

Quote:
'The Quendi were in origin a tall people. The Eldar (...) they were in general the stronger and taller members of the Elvish folk at that time. In Eldarin tradition it was said that even their women were seldom less than six feet in height; their full-grown elfmen no less than six and a half feet, while some of the great kings and leaders were taller.'

JRRT, late manuscript, The Lord of the Rings Reader's Companion, Hammond and scull, p. 107

Quote:
I have seen the quote about the Noldor being around 7ft, but the notes says to look into the further writings in the Unfinished Tales. The Unfinished Tales has them at about 6,4.

Unfinished Tales describes Galadriel at 6 foot 4, but not the average Noldo that I'm aware of.

Quote:
The average Noldor is not one from the royal houses and nothing like the tallest.

My first quote is about Eldarin Men -- that's a general description, especially given that it notes Eldarin Kings and leaders were taller. The second quote refers to the normal height of the Eldar, especially the Noldor, at seven feet.

Quote:
Aragorn was the tallest of the company, but Boromir, little less in height was broader and heavier in build.
I don't see that as a problem. Aragorn was probably 'at least' 6 foot 6 according to JRRT.

Quote:
Aragorn, direct descendant of Elendil and his son Isildur, both of whom had been seven feet tall, must nonetheless have been a very tall man…, probably at least 6 ft. 6; and Boromir, of high Númenorean lineage, not much shorter (say 6 ft. 4).'

JRRT, late manuscript, The Lord of the Rings Reader's Companion, Hammond and scull, p. 107
So, the same source as the one about Eldarin men.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote