View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
I also do not think the Silmarillion was ever intended to be canon, nor is held to be so by Christopher Tolkien.
I would be interested to know if CT or the Estate has ever issued any statement to that effect.

Quote:
Possibly to make certain threads '1977 Silmarillion only', but that's really only a solution to a specific aspect of discussing the Elder Days. Some have not read HME nor want to, but I agree that the 1977 Silmarillion can be used as a 'shared internal canon'.

I mean Christopher Tolkien's version is the only book version to work with and we are not likely to get another -- which, if we did, would probably contain more descisions not everyone would agree with in any case.
You have more clearly stated my own belief. HOME leaves far too much leeway for endless debates for me, as an "average" Tolkien reader, to be comfortable with. Unless CT or the Estate later produces something better, the best bet for me is the published Silmarillion.

Quote:
Based on what can be found in HME and elsewhere, everyone's personal Silmarillions will possibly be different
Just so, and for the purposes of an internet forum discussion, it's much easier to have a common standard, or else it's pointless.