View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Why do you like the Tolkien fandom?

That is, assuming you do like it. If you don't, I'd still like to know why. I do think there's a difference between enjoying Tolkien's work and enjoying the Tolkien fandom.

For me, the reason is this: while the Tolkien fandom, like all other big fandoms, can get nutty, it tends to be, well, more sane, for want of a better word. Just to clarify, I don't count dressing up as Gandalf or Fingolfin, or reading Tolkien's books again and again, as 'insane'. What I do call insane is, for instance, getting pointlessly aggressive towards people who happen to dislike a character you are fond of. That, in my opinion, is excessive. Of course we have our puritans (!) and our Legolas fanatics, but on the whole, I find the Tolkien fandom to be generally more pleasant, more accepting, and more welcoming than other fandoms, such as, say, the Game of Thrones fandom, which I have dabbled in for a while. There seems to be more of a 'come, let us all sit by the fire and tell each other stories' air than a 'let us completely tear each other apart over which character is cooler' one. The latter occurs, I think, but not nearly as much as it could. There is some snobbery, but I'll take a bit of snobbery over snarling, frothing-at-the-mouth fanatics.

Or maybe I'm just deluded.

Last edited by Galadriel; 12-15-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote