View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I don't know, I am probably not sufficiently exposed to other fandoms. However there are at least a few members here who are sufficiently biased that I want the popcorn franchise if they should ever meet. And I speak as someone whose loathing of Luthien is legendary and inspired a gauntlet throwing thread when Fordim and I squabbled on the virtues of Faramir v Aragorn.... he called darling Faramir a dweeb! I ask you... a gauntlet was too good for him
Personally I never liked either Beren or Lúthien. Faramir...pretty neutral about him, really. Even if he was most like Tolkien, if we are to believe our professor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I would also say that the Tolkien works do seem to attract people who are astoundingly intelligent and with a wide knowledge base (what do they know of Tolkien who only Tolkien know?), others and sometimes the same are extremely creative, or amusing or show high levels of compassion and empathy. It is a stimulating group of people to be around if daunting. There are exceptions of course... not necessarily here but Tolkien fandom has introduced me also to people so boring and obnoxious that I would cross Oxford Street in rush hour to avoid and sub-Vogonic poetry.
Well put, though I'd rather say his works attract people who are astoundingly tolerant and quite kind. I think, really, that Tolkien's fans do pick up these qualities from his books, even if to a small extent. Certainly we have our obnoxious nutters, but seriously, go onto the Game of Thrones fandom on tumblr and you will see much more than the relatively harmless term 'dweeb' - and not directed at fictional characters. That's generally one of the reasons I really enjoy the Tolkien fandom. Foul language is usually kept to a minimum (there are exceptions!), compared to other fandoms. If there is aggresion, it is usually reserved for ideas and characters - not people. I'm quite convinced the Tolkien fandom is considerably less nasty than most. (I know I've only used GoT here, but I am in other fandoms, too)

Last edited by Galadriel; 12-15-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote