View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #152
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
I'm not even sure that Elrond was the most powerful Elf in his own kingdom.
He wasn't that would be Glorfindel, but he is an exceptional case. His powers were greatly enhanced after his return.
Quote:
Where did you get this from? I do not think this is true from what I remember. Sauron never came to Rivendell. Elrond established it after he and his forces were almost destroyed by Sauron's forces, but was saved in the end by a group of Dwarves and Elves. Sauron left pursuit of Elrond to take on these guys who had attacked him from behind and chased them all the back to Moria where they closed the gates on him. Sauron himself went to destroy Lindon afterwards, leaving behind a strong force to put a siege on Elrond so he would not be attacked from behind again.

I figure you are talking about this force that kept Elrond and his people in check at Imladris? Sauron was not with this force which in the end was destroyed with the aid of the Númenóreans after Gil-galad nearly destroyed Sauron. Sauron did not go to destroy Lindon because he could not take on Elrond. The reason he wanted to take Lindon was to get those Rings of Power the Elves were hiding from him. Elrond he could clearly deal with. Elrond was almost destroyed when Sauron destroyed Eregion, but was saved by another force of Dwarves/Elves.
Elrond was first sent by Gil-galad to help Celebrimbor. He arrives too late and it's here where his forces are about to be destroyed if not for the dwarves. The attack from Moria gives Elrond time to escape and found Imladris.

It's at this point that Sauron forgets about Lindon and goes around securing complete control of Eriador. He has complete control of Eriador except for Rivendell alone. It's only after he still cannot take Rivendell that he then sets his mind on invading Lindon. It's at this point the Numenoreans arrive. His inability to take Imladris is precisely why he had to leave a large part of his army back. It was 5 years until Sauron decided to invade Lindon.

Last edited by cellurdur; 12-27-2013 at 08:04 PM.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote