View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Sarumian
Wight

Sarumian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I cannot believe I am writing here after I have finally seen it. If the first movie was better then I expected it to be, the second one is above and beyond all expectations that were very low initially. Having read the reviews I expected that the time given to fighting is going to be something like in the Return of The King (or even more than that). But in fact there was no more than in Fellowship, on the other hand, there was enough of adventures of other sort to my taste.

Taking it right, one should not expect it to be Tolkien's story, but one just loosely based on Tolkien. I have to admit, there are plenty of incongruities (such as the barrels) but I can close my eyes on this. It's a kind of fairy tail, let's imagine something had got to be exaggerated as it often happens. I can accept the shortening of Beorn's part for the sake of a really somber mood typical for the entire movie. High Fells is something odd, as I don't see how Nazgul would have allowed to entomb themselves after the fall of Angmar. They lost power after Sauron's downfall but their bodies were invisible and since that time they had already become active. But I like the fact that Radagast encouraged Gandalf to opt for Dol Gudur instead of the Lonely Mountain - a personal drama.

I like the Thranduil, the Master of Lake Town, Smaug and Sauron (the disclosure of the secrete of The Eye); I like the fact that the dwarves put up a fight in an attempt to put The Beast down; I also like the way Thorin gets corrupt (he's really more Boromir than Aragorn). This corruption also explains why powerful objects are so dangerous even if they were made with a good purpose (as it happened to Silmarils). The contrariety between Rivendell and Thranduil's kingdom is shown in an excellent way. Thranduill's doctrine that whatever happens, the kingdom of the Wood Elves will be forever can be seen as his attempt to conceal the real course of events even from himself. We can imagine how dramatic his conversation with Legolas could be after the latter comes to speak about his desire to sail to the West...

The white orc is alright to me now as he is a kind of reflection of the attractive image of Sauron (orcs are corrupted elves, and Azog has something "elvish" in his whiteness, he is an enchanted orc, a great orc leader).

The "only right" and "the only chance" are juxtaposed - Thorin enjoys this right but refuses the chance and tries to overcome the things that went wrong.

I hope I could explain why I did not get bored by this movie at all.
Sarumian is offline   Reply With Quote