View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #55
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
By the way Nerwen, I was wondering about your response to my post number 11. Of course you don't have to respond. Nobody 'has' to; and plenty of people and animals ignore me, so I'll take no offense.

I won't tell you why I ask you specifically however... well unless you ask

If it helps, I'll suggest that the issue of Elven height is as important as Elven hair colour...

... so how can you resist
Are you asking if I think one quote sounds like a revision of the other? Yes, I do- on the whole. Saying that people in a certain group are "no less than" a given height, while "some of" them are taller is a *very* vague way way of putting it; there certainly isn't the clear discrepancy that exists in the statements about Elendil. However, I'd say that if Tolkien was *at this point* thinking of the height of the male Eldar as being "about seven of our feet", he would, at least, have said "most of" them were taller (than six-foot-six).

This is a matter of interpretation, though; I think it is also possible to reconcile the two quotes if you want to without jumping through too many mental hoops.

Last edited by Nerwen; 02-23-2014 at 05:45 AM. Reason: word left out
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote