View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #49
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I have indeed missed these ranking charts of which you speak.

Tolkien does often describe various people and things as the "---est"; while this is no doubt literally true in the case of, say, Feanor being the "greatest craftsman", much of the time it's a matter of him saying different things at different times, and not being particularly consistent. Judging from things you've said here and elsewhere, I gather you believe that there is a precise, thought-out system underlying all this. I doubt it.

Anyway, I'm not disputing the "magic" issue- but most of your post is, seemingly, concerned with physical strength. That's what I'm asking about.
When you write a work as detailed and vast as Tolkien's you are going to have mistakes. In the earliest drafts there is even intentional author bias.

The contradictions are not really that many considering how long he has been writing the story. A lot of the time they are consistent.

You mentioned Feanor, but why not comment on Daeron, Luthien or Earendil? In all three cases we are told several times that they are the best in a certain field. If you want to accept that Feanor is the mightiest craftsmen then how can you reject that Daeron is the mightiest singer?

How many different types of strength are there? Once we dismiss men from the 'strength' in magic, then there is only strength of body and strength of will left. Nor is strength of 'will' the same as wisdom. Ar-pharazon had strength of will, but lacked wisdom. In terms of strength of will once more the House of Hador stand at the forefront.

The House of Finarfin seemed particular adapt at 'magic' with the likes of Galadriel and Finrod.

When I commented on strength of body, I specifically mentioned 'physical strength'.

'But Turin had been long in a hard school, and had grown as agile as any Elf, but stronger.'-UT

As for strength of will Hurin is elsewhere called the mightiest in this and we see this in action when he is not daunted by Morgoth's eyes.

' and he sought to daunt him (Hurin) with his eyes. But Hurin could not yet be daunted and he defied Morgoth.'-UT

Last edited by cellurdur; 02-25-2014 at 12:00 PM.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote