View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #113
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
@Celludur

That's an interesting take to put it as about 'changing fates/destinies'. I see where you're going.

@all

We only actually have one union of Elves and Men--after--The Choice of the Peredhil was formalised at that ring of meeting place thing in Valinor (it's got a particular name, and that was where Earendil pleaded to the Valar, while Elwing sat in the getaway car, waiting for hubby to return--it's a beautiful story though--Elwing throwing herself into the seas and Ulmo bearing her up and transforming her into a swan as she flew in the night with the Silmaril back to Earendil, who caught her, and she awoke, in the morning herself again). The one union is Aragorn and Arwen.

What we also never (well, not quite) hear about, is the reference to is the union of Elves and Men in Imrahil's line. There was, presumably, the 'first' half elven at some point way back when. Recall Finduilas? All that stuff about her, oceans and tossing herself into the water, or becoming lost. I've always wondered about this union, and how it escaped attention, and wondered whether those Peredhil (half elves) ever had The Choice of the Peredhil. Somewhere I read that there were only ever 'three unions of Elves and Men'--Tuor/Idril--though Earendil wedded Elwing who was Dior's kid; Beren/Luthien, and Aragorn/Arwen, which is not really reconcilable with what we know of Imrahil's people and Dol Amroth (even the name of the region recognises the Elvish heritage, where Amroth came from the then Lorien, before Galadriel and Celeborn took over leadership of the realm).

Also, we know that Imrahil son of Adrahil II was born in 2955 TA, and Denethor II married Imrahil's sister, Finduilas (a latter-named Finduilas; also my avatar is another sister of Imrahil), and so Imrahil is Boromir's and Faramir's uncle. This implies there is Elvish blood in that line, which is news to me (I just read this) but we did know Faramir was of particularly 'fair' bearing.

I believe this is not quite true.

Last edited by Ivriniel; 02-26-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote