View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Idril. Aredhel was his (dead) mother.

I don't think Galadriel was looking for "Sauronic" traits or influence. I don't think she was looking for anything. She was just showing each person to himself, playing the role of an external conscience. The person with a clear and doubtless conscience wasn't embarassed, upset, afraid, etc. In a way, she spelled out each person's dilemma that they may have been half-consciously hiding in their minds. She wasn't exactly tempting, but taking an existing temptation out in the open.

Not so sure about this--why:

Galadriel had faced the evil variant of tolkienian perversion since valinor. She'd been fighting it in numerous incarnations for millennia, knows its stench and all the guises of mortal men in how they lie to themselves about their 'lust for power '.

She saw her ost in edhel destroyed, saw celebrimbor's head on a pike, and - through her own ring - knew first hand the taint of saurons touch.

I find it highly unlikely that - knowing the evil of the ring was in Lorien - knowing saurons presence through it, that boromir's stench would not have been divined. And attributed to the ring and how men deny - outwardly - evil influence.

I suspect his denial of 'temptation' smacked of the duality in boromir's persona versus inner greed--and lust--for the power of the ring .

Nine for the mortal men doomed to fie

Last edited by Ivriniel; 03-15-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote