View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #28
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
And, perhaps also, he saw it as a place to rest from strife - far from the reminder of evil in Mordor. Leave that to his sons who were young (relatively) and energetic - let him enjoy the peace he had earned (in his view, maybe) in his old age.
Though 200 when he founded Arnor, Elendil was not old at this point in his life. He was part of the Faithful and they lived much longer than the King's Men. Ar-Pharazôn died when he was 201 and was already "besotted, and walking under the shadow of death". [Akallabêth, p. 340] His father Gimilkhâd died when he was 198! So I'd say if Elendil were one of those who were in rebellion against the Valar then Elendil would be accounted old. However, Elendil was much longer lived and died when he was 322 fighting Sauron. His g.grandon (x8) Siriondil [King of Gondor] was 260 when he died in M-E, & Amlaith [King of Arthedain] was 220.

I do think Elendil probably made Arnor his home in part because of the realms of the High-king of the Noldor in Lindon, & Rivendell. However, he was driven in that direction by the destruction of Númenor, not that this is where he was planning on going in the first place. Just as his sons were driven to the south by the waves. There were apparently many sailors looking for the Meneltarma, and the fear of death was still on them, and they ever longed for the West. Also I believe at this point in time since they did not know that Sauron survived there was probably no thought to building fortifications to prepare for him. Now surely they have powerful enemies because when Sauron did return and build up his forces it is said, "among them were not a few of the high race of Númenor." [Of the Rings of Power and the Thrid Age, p. 363] This is because there were Dúnedain who settled in the East who gladly turned to Sauron. Where Isildur and Anárion came was basically a spot where the Faithful made their homes.

It is said that two of these Dúnedain, "Herumor and Fuinur... rose to power among the Haradrim" [p. 363] since before they moved to the South due to the threat of Gil-galad.