Thread: LOTR Risk
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2003, 06:05 PM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
Judging by the board layout, they're probably going to have some sort of expansion set when RotK comes out
That makes sense, Phrim. I like the fact that the game has a definate end to it and is more about accumulating points than simply wiping out another player or gaining control of a whole region. I agree, though, that a bad run with the cards can make the game unwinnable for the player having the bad run.

Has no-one played the LotR co-operative game? I think it's by Parker Games, so it may only be available in the UK. It is actually a very good game and is based solely on the books. Basically, each player takes the role of one of the Hobbits (including Fatty if there are 5 playing) and must co-operate through various scenarios representing the different stages in the book (represented by Moria, Helms Deep etc). This is done by playing cards (characters and items) to make it along different paths so as to finish the scenario before being overtaken by events. At the same time, there is a separate track with Sauron starting at one end and the Hobbits at the other. As the game progresses various events (such as using the Ring) cause them to move towards each other (representing Sauron's increasing influence and the Hobbits being overtaken by darkness). If Sauron and the Ringbearer meet the game is over. The aim is (of course) to get the Ring to Mount Doom and throw it in before this happens.

It is an extremely enjoyable game, and very different in that the players work together to beat the game rather than playing against each other. The only problem is it is very difficult to get anywhere near Mount Doom before Sauron prevails (especially with only two players).

Has anyone else played this game? If so, has anyone managed to beat it? We haven't, yet. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]