View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #41
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Aha! Who is wrong like big dog here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallanite
On page 47 of Morgoth’s Ring Christopher Tolkien states:
This work [the Annals of Aman] undoubtedly belongs with the large development and recasting of the Matter of the Elder Days that my father undertook when The Lord of the Rings was finished (see p. 3).
Yes- by which CT means after his father had finished the writing of the Lord of the Rings, in 1949, not its publication in 1954-55. That misapprehension on your part explains why you misread my original post, and further leads you to misdate the last three chapters of QS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Tolkien
In the foreword to Morgoth's Ring I emphasized the distinction between the first period of writing that followed in the early 1950s the actual completion of The Lord of the Rings, and the later work that followed its publication...

The number of new works that my father embarked upon in that first 'phase,' highly creative but all too brief, is astonishing. There were the new Lay of Leithian.... the Annals of Aman and new versions of the Ainulindale; the Grey Annals, abandoned at the end of the tale of Turin; the new Tale of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin.... and all the new tale of Turin and Nienor from Turin's return to Dor-Lomin to their deaths in Brethil. There were also an abandoned prose saga of Beren and Luthien; the story of Maeglin; and an extensive revision of the Quenta Silmarillion.
And further,

Quote:
[A] calendar, with dates in September, October, and November 1951, was used for riders to Tuor and the Grey Annals (the last version of the Annals of Beleriand and a close companion work to the Annals of Aman)

[Yes, this is the very same passage on Page 3 of MR to which your own cite refers back. Your passage continues:]

...and it stands in close relationship to the revision at that time of the corresponding parts of the Quenta Silmarillion (V.204-43, referred to throughout as QS), the text which had been abandoned at the end of 1937. Equally clearly it followed the last text of the Ainulindale (D)
You have been led astray by your misdating of AAm and subsequent dating in reference to it.
Quote:
The Lord of the Rings was published in three volumes over the course of a year from 29 July 1954 to 20 October 1955. Christopher Tolkien dates all the material in the sections headed “The Later QUENTA SILMARILLION (I)” and “The Later QUENTA SILMARILLION (II)” as following this, not “before the publication of The Lord of the Rings.”
was simply, completely wrong.

My point still stands, untouched by your carping: all mentions of Aelfwine post-LR date from the 1950s, and all but one Aelfwine document either definitely or probably date from JRRT's creative surge in 1949-53 between the LR's completion and publication. There is no extant evidence for Aelfwine's continued existence after the 1950s, and certainly none near or subsequent in time to 1965-66, the period of the Revised Edition and the Plotz interview, where the Bilbo-vector came to the fore.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
It really does seem to bother you that I use utilities to type non-keyboard characters. That is not enough to make me stop.
Got paranoia? Sheesh, talk about a persecution complex! I don't give a rat's patoot whether you use 'em or not. I was and am bothered by the hoity-toity way in which you slammed Arvegil:

Quote:
You mean Ælfwine, not Aelfwine, of course. Your English is as bad as your Elvish.
I daresay Arvegil's English is much better than your Czech, Polish or Croatian.

Last edited by William Cloud Hicklin; 10-01-2015 at 10:09 AM.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote