View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #33
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I think the taking of the Arkenstone was really a betrayal of Thorin as an individual rather than the whole company, as Bilbo would see it.

It was Thorin who had given the order to all the others that he alone had the rights to the jewel, and it seems it was mainly fear of Thorin's wrath that bothered Bilbo about keeping it secret.
Ye-es. I agree that it was mainly Thorin that was problematic, but at the same time you can't call Bilbo's deed completely honest in respect to the other Dwarves. It's true that the others wouldn't mind Bilbo taking the Arkenstone as much, and they wouldn't see his act as such a betrayal. But the nature of Bilbo's act groups the Dwarves into one group, like it or not. One rotten apple spoils the bunch?

So yes, I agree that he's mostly going behind Thorin's back, but he's acting behind all of the Dwarves' backs. He may not be as much of a jerk to the others, but it's still hardly honest.