View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Given that Galador, son of Imrazōr the Nśmenórean and the Elf-maid Mithrellas, was mortal (and lived to the age of 125) I'd say that the Princes of Dol Amroth were never immortal. That was the one and only time when Elvish "blood" was introduced into the line of Dol Amroth. This information is found in Part VII of The Peoples of Middle-earth, volume 12 of the History of Middle-earth series (pages 220 to 222 in my edition).

As far as I can tell it would be no different to other intermarriages of Men and Elves in which they had to choose one fate or the other; the immortality didn't simply wear off over the course of generations. You're either immortal or you aren't (although people like Arwen rather exploited the system, I feel, by living for thousands of years before choosing to be mortal but we know it had its drawbacks for her).

I wonder if Galador was ever presented with the choice somehow or if he just assumed that he was mortal and therefore was. Perhaps, because Mithrellas was of "lesser silvan race" (to quote the text) no choice was possible, although I have no hard reason to back up such an assertion.

Last edited by Zigūr; 03-12-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Zigūr is offline   Reply With Quote