Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #3274
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
MARJORAM: March girl trapped between mirrored ewes’ mates yields substance fit to perfume a gondola.
MILK: Place of clichéd strife changes ending after an early start. Soft as elven-rope, it is!
MUTTON: Dog lit for a chewy, monotonous troll-feast.
SALT: Endure (though shaken) it did, at the bottom of Sam’s pack!
TOAST: Isengard pudding and Denethor’s fate.
APPLES: Article signed on behalf of bad pianist yields fruit (possibly resembling Laurelin’s?)
TEA: Projected time – jumbled – which yields this – is four o’clock.
EGGS: Fabled cathedral (or village?) loses consecration and is initially changed for siphonable comestibles.
RABBIT: Endless chatter! Gollum provides this.
SAGE: Wise was Sam to seek this fragrant thing.

Password: MIM'S TATERS.
Theme: Food, herbs/seasoning and drink.

In the 'milk' clue, 'after an early start' means that the answer begins one letter before the letter that forms part of the password. You may remember that I've done this before, except I think that on prior occasions (can't remember if it was once or twice), I entered the answer backwards but *still* had to use the second (or in terms of the original word, the penultimate) letter as the one that featured in the password. In those cases, I indicated the two things with something like 'runs back but overshoots by one place.'

I read 'Unfinished Tales' in full recently (I only read certain sections when I was younger, and just skimmed the others). MIM has a bag of roots that he uses as food. I decided I could use poetic licence to make a password from them, made up of food and drink answers. (He won't say what they actually are. 'Mim's Taters' is as good a term as any).

Although neither of you quite guessed the exact password, it would have revealed itself anyway once I had entered all the answers and bolded the appropriate letters.

So I guess it's over to Huinesoron again, as he posted the nearly-right password first (just).

P.S. Gollum did indeed teach his grandmother to suck eggs (only a metaphor outside of The Hobbit, I think! But it seems literal there).

P.P.S. Tea is an anagram of ETA, short for estimated time of arrival (hence projected time), and the ETA of TEA at Bilbo's is four o'clock.

P.P.P.S. 'Trouble at t'mill,' indeed. Didn't know the Pythons had used the expression. Refers to workers rising up against their oppressors, I think.

P.P.P.P.S. St Ogg's is indeed the small town/village where Maggie Tulliver lives in 'The Mill On The Floss.' It is also the name of the fictional cathedral in 'All Gas And Gaiters,' starring Derek Nimmo. It ran on both radio and TV (late 60's/early 70's). On TV, St Albans Cathedral was used for St Ogg's.

P.P.P.P.P.S. I'm not the first to do a 'food and drink' password. Morsul the Dark did one, with 'Meat & Drink' as the password.

P.P.P.P.P.P.S. I think that's now two more post-scripts than Gandalf used.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-21-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote