Thread: Tolkien 2005
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2002, 08:55 AM   #16
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Is anyone else actually going to this event - I've bought a ticket, & am hoping to attend. I also attended my first Oxonmoot with the Tolkien Society who are organising this event. It was in September, & we got to visit The Professor's grave. For those of you who aren't familiar with it. The grave is about 2-2 1/2 feet high, light grey marble, with the Beren & Luthien inscripton on it. Its an ordinary grave in an ordinary cemetary, with just a little wooden sign to indicate where to find it. Its in the Catholic section of the cemetary - lots of graves of Poles who stayed in the UK after the war.
There was a reading from the Two Towers - the part where Frodo & Sam leave Faramir & set off for the Crossroads, then a Society member sang Galadriel's lament in Elvish. After the 'ceremony' I was able to get a few seconds to kneel by the grave & place my hand on the earth.

Anyway, back to the main question - is anyone else planning to attend Tolkien 2005?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote