View Single Post
Old 08-23-2023, 11:38 AM   #132
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
1) I'm not sure I understand what you're saying - because we seem to agree, unless I'm missing something.

The reason I said that it was Amrod/Amarthan who dies at Losgar is because the 'Earendil' text in the private forum still has this line:

Quote:
The dwelling of Elwing there, where still she possessed the Nauglamír and the glorious Silmaril, became known unto the remaining sons of Fëanor, Maedron and Maelor and Amrod; and they gathered together from their wandering hunting-paths, and messages of friendship and yet stern demand they sent unto Sirion.

However, I would like to point out that the story of one (or two) of Feanor's sons being burned alive potentially goes back all the way to the 'Annals of Aman', as per this note:

Quote:
A marginal note at the end of the paragraph reads: 'Tragedy of the burning of one of Fëanor's [added: 2 younger] sons, who had returned to sleep in his ship.'
- Morgoth's Ring, 'The Annals of Aman', note to §162, p. 128

2) Personally, I'm not particularly attached to either version of the story, even though I think that Maglor dying alongside Maedros, each with their own Silmaril, has some poetic quality at least.

With that said, I think it's really a stretch to interpret these three quotes in any way other than that Maglor dies.

Last edited by Arvegil145; 08-23-2023 at 02:59 PM.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote