View Single Post
Old 10-23-2003, 06:14 AM   #12
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

But again Eurytus, no one has said it is blasphemous that Jackson has changed things from the books.

This thread started by saying he has dumbed down in quite a few occasions.

That is fact.

As long as we don't see Sauron fighting Aragorn, then I can stomach changes to the books (even though I might not agree with a lot of them), but I'm not going to hunt down Jackson with my special edition hardback book to whack him over the head because of the changes, as they are not blasphemous (even the faramir/osgiliath one!).

PS Stop moving the goalposts. You first stated that, apart from Frodo, no one loses anything or really suffers in the books.
Quote:
Frodo apart, no-one really suffers any in this story
When I corrected you with approx 16 examples, you then stated that these pieces of loss or suffering weren't 'enough'. Make your mind up!

i.e. your ‘moving the goalposts’ point

Quote:
So basically you have come up with 3 deaths and some people leaving Middle Earth. I am sorry but compared to real warfare these ‘losses’ are ludicrously lightweight. Who comes back to find their children slaughtered, 1,000’s of people massacred for racial reasons, their womenfolk raped, ethnic enmity set in place that will poison the future for hundreds of years? These are the real consequences of war. See WWI, WWII or the Crusades. See the wars of conquest fought in Latin America. Some of the things that go on boggle the mind. Admit it or not the LOTR is horribly clean and nice in comparison.
1/ Dying or 2/ losing a loved one are about as bad as you can get. None of us have experience of the first one, but I have experience of the second one. So trust me, in that on a personal level, what these characters go through is heartbreaking. That’s one of the things that make this book so special (and perfect).
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote