View Single Post
Old 10-29-2003, 06:24 AM   #39
Eurytus
Wight

Eurytus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was not just talking about language that the characters speak although that is certainly part of the problem. I certainly do not see the need for the men of Gondor to speak in a more archaic way that do other men, and Elves who are more ancient than anyone. If Gondor spoke in an antiquated style then we would have seen hints of it in Boromir but we do not.
The jarring difference in language I spoke of was more than just how people talk. Take this passage;

“Then Theoden was aware of him, and would not wait for his onset, but crying to Snowmane he charged headlong to greet him. Great was the clash of their meeting. But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest. Right through the press drove Theoden Thengel's son, and his spear was shivered as he threw down their chieftain. Out swept his sword, and he spurred to the standard, hewed staff and bearer; and the black serpent foundered. Then all that was left unslain of their cavalry turned and fled far away.”

Would you see a passage like that in FOTR? No, you would not. You would see it in the Silmarillion. Would a hobbit write such text? I doubt it, especially when there was no hint of such language being used in FOTR. And it is no use saying that the hobbits have grown and hence use this language by ROTK. They were not writing the book as a diary as it happened. They were writing it years later, hence there is no conceivable reason why Frodo would change his style so greatly within the same book.

And I truly believe that if a fantasy book came out by any other author and used that sort of language it would be derided as “trying to be more epic than it is”.
For some reason Tolkien gets a free pass though.

Basically "Great was the clash of their meeting" is not really good writing.

Lionel Hutz
Eurytus is offline   Reply With Quote