View Single Post
Old 11-15-2003, 11:10 PM   #132
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

Lush, I appreciate Sumo imagery as much as the next guy. I think the membership in general may better appreciate imagery of yours truly in a colorful Luchador mask rather than a thong-style Sumo wrap, but you never can tell.

I, for one, have certainly taken in what Bethberry has to say. She’s an intelligent and articulate woman with plenty of things to say that are worth listening to. But in a discussion, people will sometimes disagree (duh!). And when they disagree, they’ll say why. Have there been missed opportunities for moderation here? Certainly. I think some aspects of the discussion have been allowed to get out of hand precisely out of an intent to show that the Downs is open to debate on almost any Tolkien-related subject, including criticisms of the professor’s style (ah, the old theme, a desire to do good turned to evil... but I digress).

Just because people disagree with the criticisms doesn’t mean that one side is right or wrong. People have as much right to voice disagreements with criticisms as they do to voice the criticisms in the first place. And this discussion isn’t threatened with closing because of criticisms of Tolkien but because of posting styles. There’s enough blame for personalizing the discussion and overheated replies to go around, I reckon, and I’ll take the heat for any missed opportunities to moderate and rein things in at an earlier point. This is how we do things at the Downs. Sometimes we have a breakdown. Then we fix it up and move on.

But enough discussion about the discussion! I don’t know if there’s anywhere left to go in this topic, but reasoned and articulate replies are welcome.

[ November 16, 2003: Message edited by: Mister Underhill ]
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote