View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 07:30 AM   #33
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Keneldil the Polka-dot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

lindil, you are making it hard on me to hold my position [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Although I agree with Maedhros, the movie and the book are obviously separate things, I see the point you are trying to illustrate.

When I take a close look at my own argument for the Noldor, my position stems from the fact that they did what I would have done if Finwe were my father. Granted, perhaps I am giving Feanor more credit than he deserves for a noble purpose. The Silmarils had at least as much to do with it as his father did.

Quote:
Peace is serious and hard work. It is not the fruit of inertia but a fruit of the battle of with self [ which the Noldorin exiles by and large lost] and also of a marriage of humilty with grace.
Well said. *sigh* It is hard for me, being a human, to identify with the Vanyar who are basically an analog of angels. The Noldor made decisions I admire for reasons that are more human, more realistic. In saying the Vanyar are angels and the Noldor are more human, I pretty much destroy my argument that the Noldor are greater. RATS. Someone help me out here. lindil is talking me out of it.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I think Maedhros has a good point. The Noldor lived more than the Vanyar ever did. Isn't the struggle part of that which makes one great? How do you know what is really inside you if it is never challenged? The Vanyar had no adversity to temper their spirits. They had a happy, comfortable environment in which to do whatever it is they did when there was nothing to accomplish.

[ November 19, 2002: Message edited by: Keneldil the Polka-dot ]