View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 03:34 PM   #39
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Question

Quote:
Now if by passion you mean 'zest for life' or some such. Then I would argue against anyone who says writing something like the Silmarillion takes less 'passion' than sword fighting. Fencing or dueling are more physical, true, but is physicality the yardstick of passion?
By passion I mean that they had more desire to do new things than any other of the two kindreds.
I can't identify with the Vanyar because I just don't get them. Had they reached their zenith in culture and hapiness? What are they going to do for the rest of the life of Arda, just sing at the feet of Manwë in Taniquetil?
It seems to me that the elves tended to reach their zenith and then they froze. Ex: The Teleri built their ships and they themselves said that they were couldn't make their likes ever. I find this horribly sad. Moving to the Vanyar, they found eternal peace and hapiness, but is that it. Is there is a point in elven evolution that they stopped doing things?
I remember that someone told me that, if you look back at your life, and you don't have any regrets in it, then you have not really lived. The Vanyar are just perfect.