View Single Post
Old 12-28-2000, 04:35 PM   #6
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: One hand tied behind their back

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> The precise nature of the restraints on the power of the Istari is not clear. I think that all would agree that Gandalf came back rather supercharged after Moria.<hr></blockquote>I’ve never really bought into this. He doesn’t seem all that different from before. What does he really do with this supercharge? Shatter Saruman’s staff? Big whoop. In an earlier thread, most Downers seemed to agree that this was really more of a symbolic act. Saruman already had his butt kicked by Treebeard &amp; Co. I guess he mouths off some to the Lord of the Nazgul and to the Mouth of Sauron, but good old G always did have a sharp tongue, before and after Moria. Anyway, if he was so powerful, then the Ring wouldn’t be that big of a temptation. The real temptation would be to use this mad power he was holding in check because of constraints placed on him, etc.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> Why inhabit bodies? The Sil. implies this was done so they could interact with elves, men and perhaps at a more basic level with the physical stuff from which Arda was made. Disembodied, the Nazgul had no ability to affect the physical world.<hr></blockquote>Rhetorical question, sorry. This is my point. If pure energy Maiar really can’t affect the physical world, then how can they be deemed more powerful than corporeal Maiar? I don’t believe the hype on the non-corporeal Maiar. Just blow them away with a stiff breeze.

I don’t really see anyone playing as though they have one armed tied behind their back. Everyone seems to be going pretty much all out. I think the constraints put on the Istari were more of a moral/ethical nature.

</p>
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote