View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 07:32 PM   #26
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think the main similarity between all mothers in Middle-earth is that they all had some degree of foresight regarding their children. We know that Miriel knew that Fëanor would do both great and terrible things, we know that Nerdanel saw some of her sons' fates, and we know that Earwen gave Galadriel her mother-name (Nerwen) for a reason. The main way that we can see the foresight in Elven mothers is through their children's mother-names, which were given for a reason. It is said that a mother has insight into her child's fate at birth and shortly after, which is how she gives the child its mother-name.

As for human mothers, I still think the same applies. I think that Erendis, to some degree, saw that her daughter's fate was going to be much like her own, and thus, instilled more of her bitterness into her. Gilraen and Ivorwen definitely saw their children's fates, and were able to make key decisions based on that. If Ivorwen had not seen the possibility of Aragorn's birth, Aragorn might not have ever been born. Thus, the foresight of mothers has played a pivotal role in the main events of Middle-earth.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote