View Single Post
Old 12-03-2002, 06:50 PM   #30
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

mithril maiden said...

Quote:
YEA SAM! Knock out some orcs before you have to give up your pans.
Just hope he washed them before using them again... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

That part, where Sam gives up his pans, always really brought home the total hopelessness of Frodo and Sam's situation to me. I remember thinking "Geez, if Sam's tossing his pans, there must really be no chance of them getting out." I guess that was the intended effect, but it REALLY worked on me. It also emphasized Sam's loyalty and, to some extent, his practicality. What's the last thing to go? The cooking equipment. Everybody's got to eat.

Heh, I guess I'll finish this later, gotta run.

Continued...
Everybody's got to eat indeed. But I'm back now. And as I was saying, I think that Sam's giving up his pans showed a lot of aspects of his character: his devotion to Frodo (in giving up something that was very important to him to follow Frodo), his practicality as I said before, and, ultimately, his determination. He lost his pans, and it did seem like a symbol of despair. But what did he do afterwards? He got right back up and saw the mission through. It was like a "death knoll to his heart", but he didn't let it keep him down. He struggled right on to Mount Doom, no matter what. That's what I love about him.

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: Orual ]