View Single Post
Old 11-15-2001, 11:27 PM   #18
Hawk

Pipe

Quote:
Originally posted by peregrine:
<STRONG>
It seems to me that JRRTolkien's greatest works were in the works of UT, BLT1, BLT2, yet most people know him for LOTR (not that this is a minor achievement). Was JRRT's greatest work LOTR or everything before that? And how much do we owe to Christopher Tolkien? And what do we think of what he has done with his father's material?</STRONG>
Hi! I'm new here and if this has all been discussed to death, please forgive me cos its all new to me. *Smile*

While I havent read ALL of Tolkien's works...I would suggest that perhaps, because he is most well known for the Lord of the Rings trilogy (and the Hobbit), these are probably his greatest. The reason I say that is because when we think of Tolkien, most of us probably think of these novels.

I plan to read the Silmarilion soon after I finish the trilogy (the second time after my 1st experience with Middle Earth in 20 years). But I think of LotR rather than the other stuff that he did and so I would have to suggest that these are what he is most well known for.

I dont know how much we owe Christopher Tolkien, but I think he was instrumental in keeping his father's work alive. If that is so, then we owe him our heartfelt gratitude. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

What do I think of what he has done with his father's material? Hmm....what has he doen with it? If he has altered it in any way, then I'd love to see the original stuff. If he has added other works to it, I cannot comment as I have not read them.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]