View Single Post
Old 01-07-2002, 02:01 AM   #13
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Quote:
The Flame of Anor does not refer to the ring, The ring was made by elves and would not have the strength to fend off a Balrog.
I don't really understand this. How is it that you deduce that the Flame of Anor is not a reference to Narya? The Secret Fire is likely the Flame Imperishable, and Gandalf is a servant of it. But Gandalf says he 'wields' the Flame of Anor. It can only refer to his staff, Narya, or Glamdring.

As for the meaning of "Anor", it's a bit difficult. The Quenya name for the Sun is actually "Anar". It is conceivable that Anor is the Sindarin form of Anar, similar to the Sindarin "Feanor" for Quenya "Feanaro". In this example, "nar" means "fire". Notice "NAR-ya". Confusingly, "nor" is also a Quenya element that means "land" (I believe), such as in Arnor and Valinor.

Without more information, I'd say it's pretty tough to judge what the Flame of Anor actually is. Glamdring was Turgon's sword, and I can see no connection there. Narya seems the most plausible explanation, but I doubt Gandalf would have disclosed that information to the Balrog.