View Single Post
Old 12-22-2000, 01:17 AM   #10
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Haunting Spirit
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: the Bible

I doubt it was meant to be looked at in that perspective, obviously it was. But even when you look at LotR like that, you can't say for sure that anything is taken from the bible.

From the non-biased non-Christian part of me I ask, why do you say bible? why not any other story in the history of the world. There are countless other good vs. evil stories that mirror JRRT's, the bible is a popular book and has several comparisons drawn to its many stories. But couldn't LotR also be compared to the Norse and Greek myth's or how about other legends, Anglo-Saxon and Celtic legends. Does it seem plausible that Tolkien took stories from the bible, changed them around, then said that his stories have nothing to do with anything?

Now from my very Christian standpoint I would have to say that there are many things similar between the Bible and JRRT's works. Yet I still cannot say that he took material from the Bible and used it as his own. For one, I have to much respect for Tolkien to believe that he would stoop to plagiarizing the Bible. And two, he said it himself that he drew no comparisons between the Bible and his works because he said that he completely made it all up, just like fiction writers are supposed to do.

In response to Lorien Wanderer's first post in this topic. Were you talking about Faramir's topic a few pages back, when you said that Elves have communistic tendencies?

</p>