View Single Post
Old 09-11-2002, 05:01 PM   #1
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Sting Tolkien, Lewis & Theology

February19,2003: Now, before you go to burden yourself by clicking the link to the current page-you don't have to. From now on all new topics will be posted on the first post (but it's better if you look at the current page too 'cause that's where all the replies are at). Here is the New Topic, posted on February 18 '03:

What if it happened? What if his stories came true? According to Tolkien it has:
Quote:
"I would venture to say that approaching the Chrsitian story from this direction, it has long been my feeling (a joyous feeling) that God redeemed the corrupt making-creatures, men, in a way fitting to this aspect, as to others, of their strange nature. The Gospels contain a fairy-sotry, or a story of a larger kind which embraces all the essence of fairy-stories...But this story has entered History and the primary world; the desire and aspiration of subcreation has been raised to the fulfillment of Creation."

Lewis put it this way:

Quote:
"The heart of Christianity is a myth which is also a fact...It happens-at a particular date, in a particular place, followed by definable historical consequences...By becoming fact it does not cease to be myth: that is the miracle."

Two great authors have stated their opinion. Do you agree or disagree? Why?

---------------------------------------------
Old Topic from September11,2002:
...Many people of cultures-Pagan, Christian or non-christian have always thought of Tolkien's writing to be made of 'pure genious'-I thought so but many people don't understand the fact the Tolkien tried to express Theology in his books...I read the trilogy and the silmaraillion and the trilogy time and time again-with the companion of Finding God in the Lord of the Rings-and understood everything.

[ February 19, 2003: Message edited by: InklingElf ]