View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 02:16 AM   #25
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
All we really know is that the axe was their preferred weapon. Axes of the nature used in foot combat (battle axe, pole axe, halberd) are entirely different than the much smaller single-handed axes used while mounted. I am not sure Tolkien would have these warriors hefting just hatchets.
If you'll permit me to raise a point here Morthoron, there's no evidence I can see that the Variags of Khand fought with axes. Of the scant times they or their land is mentioned, axes are never specified in relation to them. I think this derives from a common but, as far as I can tell, mistaken belief the "axe bearing Easterlings" who fought at the Pelennor were the same people as the Variags.

I don't mean to cast doubt on your knowledge, Morth, but I see people saying this fairly often, and I very much don't think the two are connected.

Easterlings with axes are mentioned exactly twice, I believe. Firstly, Ingold says:
Quote:
"countless companies of Men of a new sort that we have not met before. Not tall, but broad and grim, bearded like dwarves, wielding great axes. Out of some savage land in the wide East they come, we deem."
This doesn't connect them with the Variags as far as I can tell.

The second time is this remark about the reserves being sent in at the Pelennor:
Quote:
Gothmog the lieutenant of Morgul had flung them into the fray; Easterlings with axes, and Variags of Khand. Southrons in scarlet, and out of Far Harad black men like half-trolls with white eyes and red tongues.
This heavily implies, if not outright states, that the axe-bearing Easterlings were a separate people to the Variags of Khand.

Axes are mentioned again at the Pelennor here:
Quote:
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed
This might refer to these Easterlings, although we know Orcs used axes as well. Nonetheless, there is no connection to the Variags.

Incidentally, the only other time the word "Variag" is used is in this line:
Quote:
East rode the knights of Dol Amroth driving the enemy before them: troll-men and Variags and orcs that hated the sunlight.
Again, axes are never mentioned in relation to them, only to this new group of Easterlings, who appear to be a separate party in the host.

The "Men of Khand", not referred to as "Variags", are mentioned once more in Appendix A, and that's it. The article notes the times Khand is referred to in Unfinished Tales and The Peoples of Middle-earth, each time in a very general sense. Unfinished Tales mentions "peoples of Khand" and "allies in Khand". The Peoples of Middle-earth simply makes an observation about the word "Variag" in isolation. There isn't anything about axes (or horses for that matter). Beyond that I believe we hear absolutely nothing further about Khand of Variags in the entire corpus.

As such I don't believe that they are ever specified as being horsemen or specified as fighting with axes (the axe bearers are a separate group).

I apologise if I'm overemphasising the point but I have encountered this curious elision of the Variags of Khand and the "Easterlings with axes" before, and I'm unsure where it comes from.

As for horses, it's probably likely they did use horses in some capacity, as most Men seem to have done so, but we don't actually have any hard evidence to that effect. Admittedly this line from Unfinished Tales suggests use of horses:
Quote:
The Wainriders had mustered a great host by the southern shores of the inland Sea of Rhun strengthened by men of their kinsfolk in Rhovanion and from their new allies in Khand. When all was ready they set out for Gondor from the East moving with all the speed they could
If they kept up with the Wainriders they were probably mounted, I suppose, but there's nothing to indicate any particular focus or speciality of horsemanship among them.