View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #14
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texadan
I think perhaps the marring of Aman is in the Valar themselves. It seems to me that they reached a perceived perfection and crouched there. When the Children of Ilúvatar awoke did the Valar try to carry blessings and some of that perfection to the eastern continent? No, they called the elves to them and their perfection. And what did they do when the rest of the world became suddenly very imperfect? They built mountains and walled themselves in.
Ok, I don't think that this string of passages directly relates to your evaluation of the Valar's behavior, but it does soften the edges I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valaquenta
“Nonetheless Ulmo loves both Elves and Men, and never abandoned them, not even when they lay under the wrath of the Valar.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Of the Beginning of Days
“And in that time of dark Yavanna also was unwilling utterly to forsake the Outer Lands; for all things that grow are dear to her, and she mourned for the works that she had begun in Middle-earth but Melkor had marred.”
Quote:
“And Oromë tamer of beasts would ride too at whiles in the darkness of the unlit forests....”
This curious bit immediately precedes the move to Aman. A benevolent motive perhaps. The emphasis is mine.
Quote:
“In the confusion and darkness Melkor escaped, though fear fell upon him; for above the roaring of the seas he heard the voice of Manwë as a mighty wind, and the earth trembled beneath the feet of Tulkas. But he came to Utumno ere tulkas could overtake him; and there he lay hid. And the Valar could not overtake him, for the greater part of their strength was needed to restrain the tumults of the Earth, and to save from ruin all that could be saved of their labour; and afterwards they feared to rend the Earth again, until they knew where the Children of Iluvatar were dwelling, who were yet to come in a time that was hidden from the Valar.
This is all well and good before Men showed up, when Melkor was causing his mischief, but what about after Melkor was chained, and later when Men arrived? Might the mighty ones still have been enjoying their prolonged breather?

But back to the Silmarils! This is the quote I was thinking of earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor
Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda. Yet that crystal was to the Silmarils but as is the body to the Children of Iluvatar: the house of its inner fire, that is within it and yet in all parts of it, and is its life.
I suppose that the word 'life' and just how it is meant here could be argued, but again notice how the mention of fire crops up again. I have come to equate fire with life. If that inner fire is life, it is interesting to note that it came from the light of the trees, and and the 'body' was made made by a non Valar figure.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 02-17-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote