View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #63
Galendor
Haunting Spirit

Galendor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Hot Hobbit News! Jackson Will Helm "The Hobbit" As Two 3D Prequels to LOTRs!
Thank you STW for posting this update news. But I don't think it is good news. I fear it means the primary emphasis will be on creating wow-bang! 3D special effects, and little things like, um, acting and storyline will suffer for it. All 3D movies have scenes stuck in them soley for the purpose of having something appear to come out of the screen at the audience. Bleah.

I fear Jackson will make The Hobbit as a vehicle to showcase 3D special effects and to appeal to the lowest common denominator, the popcorn-chewing masses. And The Hobbit story we know and love will get lost in all the SFX.

Worst case scenario, here is a potential synopsis of a Jackson 3D The Hobbit movie, from the perspective of his target audience member (a 15 year old boy):

Cool! Those smoke rings were coming right out at me!

Cool! That Troll reached right out at me!

Cool! Them wargs jumped right out at me!

Cool! That white stag jumped right out at me!

Cool! That giant spider jumped right out at me!

Cool! That Smaug fire came right out at me!

Cool! That black arrow flew right out at me!

Cool! That blood from Bolg sprayed right out at me!

Cool! Those eagles flew right out at me!

Sigh. I don't want 3D special effects. I just want the magic and beauty of the book to be carefully and thoughtfully turned into a movie that focuses mainly on storyline, acting, character development, and emotions. Just my 2 cents.